Recent Posts

Marisa Miller talks 'Call of Duty' and her favorite 'Guitar Hero' track on Astini News

Playing host to an event celebrating one of the industry's biggest first-person shooters isn't exactly hazard-proof.

While model and actress Marisa Miller was playing paint ball inside a real-world recreation of a Call of Duty map, she slammed into a corner and hurt her eye.

"It's no joke. It's definitely not a video game," jokes Miller. "And I can attest to that because I hurt myself."

Miller is hosting a series of streaming videos for Activision as part of the Call of Duty XP fan event in Los Angeles, which runs through Saturday and gives visitors first crack at the upcoming game Modern Warfare 3.

Prior to the event's Friday kickoff, Miller spent a few minutes chatting with Game Hunters about COD and her favorite Guitar Hero song. Here are some excerpts from our interview:

Game Hunters: Have you had a chance to check out any of the crowds there? What's the vibe like?

Marisa Miller: Pulling up here, there were so many cars, (that) it's affecting traffic in L.A. to the freeway. There are people camped out since (Thursday), and the lines are crazy.

There's 6,000 people here, and this is the first time anybody is going to be able to play the game. So everybody is just nerding out. Everybody wants to be plugged in.

It's really cool though to have the interactive side of the event. When you're playing a video game, it's your virtual fantasy. To actually be able to experience some of those things in real life is pretty awesome.

GH: Do you play Call of Duty at all?

Miller: I play a little bit. My husband and dad play all the time. It sounds like bombs going off in the living room whenever they play, and I was like "what is going on in there?"

So I started watching it, and the graphics and the way it's done is amazing. It was kind of like watching a movie. Finally, after I saw what they were doing, they showed me how to play. We root each other on, and it's really fun. I don't get to do it all the time, but I love it.

It's funny to see our different personalities play out. Everybody has a different strategy. My dad is very safe. He camps out behind a wall and waits for the right moment. My husband is super methodical. He's actually really, really good. I like to shoot the sniper (rifle), because to me, I like to be precise and just pick people off. But if I'm having a bad day, I take the AK and run in the middle of the action. I feel like G.I. Joe.

GH:Call of Duty players tend to talk a lot of trash. Do you see yourself as a trash talker when you play?

Miller: No. It's funny, because when it comes to sports, I played competitive sports in high school, and I talked a lot of smack. But I'm not that good at the game, so it would be completely inappropriate, because I would not be able to back it up.

It's a lot of fun, and I love it, but I get nervous. I hear when they play on Xbox Live, they get really intense. And especially if someone hears that you are a girl, it's over. So I stay off the mike because it's not helpful for me.

GH: Can you talk about your experience with video games in general?

Miller: When I was in middle school, my dad -- we picked up Nintendo (Entertainment System) with the first Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. It was a school night, and I usually had to be in bed by 9 (p.m.). We were up until 1 in the morning playing, and we had the best time ever. I was really good at that.

And I love Guitar Hero because I love music, but I have no musical ability whatsoever. So I love a game that makes you feel like you're a rock star.

GH: What's your one go-to song?

Miller: I love Freebird because it's long, and I like that it builds, that it starts out slow. I love rock and roll. Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong decade because I love Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and … those are my bands. I mean, I love Guns 'n Roses, too, but Freebird is one of my favorite songs to play.

GH: Got any notable projects coming up?

Miller: I just got booked for my first film with Jeff Bridges, Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Bacon. It's called R.I.P.D., and it's based off a Dark Horse comic book.

The script is hilarious. I play Jeff Bridges' avatar, so I'm basically his disguise when he's on Earth. It sounded really complicated when they told me about the role, but for some reason, it was really natural, and I'm really having a lot of fun with it. We start production in a couple weeks in Boston, and I'm really excited.

What's on Your Mind...